LITERATURE ALIVE 2019: THE SEUSSIFICATION OF LITERATURE ALIVE
A STORYTELLING EXPERIENCE WITH DR. SEUSS
February 28-March 2, 2019
FREE EVENT ! NO RESERVATIONS NEEDED!
Dr. Seuss celebrates his Birthday on March 2nd, so we are joining the celebration by bringing his wonderfully witty characters to life through his creative stories. We conclude every show by handing out free books for all children who attend, while they meet the characters from the show and have the opportunity to take photos and get autographs.
HOW DO WE SEE THE SHOW?
We will post exact show times after the first of they year with instructions about how to see the show. This year it is not at the library, although the library remains a very important partner in our endeavor!
LET'S LOOK AT NUMBERS AND LITERATURE ALIVE!
8,000: The number of people who’ve attended Literature Alive in the past 7 years
5,000: The number of books we’ve given away to early readers in the Concho Valley
200+: The number of volunteers who’ve worked Literature Alive productions
These are big numbers making a difference in the lives of our young community members who are just beginning to read. he Literature Alive Program has inspired thousands of children through the magic of live theatre, and continues to bring outstanding programming to Concho Valley children at no charge to the families who attend.
PERFORMANCE ART AND LITERATURE TOGETHER!
In addition to bringing classic children's literature to families, we also provide exposure to the performing arts, as many of the children who attend have never seen a live theatrical performance. Although we have children from all socioeconomic backgrounds, our highest attendance and biggest focus are families in the lower income bracket. Low income families have less financial means to purchase tickets to live performance events such as theater and dance. As commonly known, studies have shown exposure to the performing arts is extremely important in development, and we are proud to produce such an enriching and exciting event each year.
NEW LOCATION THIS YEAR:
BE THEATRE AT SAN ANGELO PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
While continuing our strong partnership with Tom Green County Library, we will be moving the Literature Alive Program to the San Angelo Performing Arts Center and producing the show inside Be Theatre’s Black Box Theatre. While the allure of the library is quite warm and charming, the community room where Literature Alive has been produced the past 7 seasons has become difficult for us due to constraints on size and limitations for production. Safety is also an issue as it was not built to house a full theatrical production.
The move to Be Theatre provides us with several benefits including (but not limited to)
- Full access to our scene shop for a much safer way to build sets
- Scene shop benefits including fast access to tools during tech week
- State of the art lighting equipment that will eliminate a need to rent lighting
- Access to a complete sound system which eliminates the need to rent sound equipment
- High ceilings for larger set design
- The ability to screw into walls to secure sets and large props
- Set/Prop/Costume storage on site so we can rehearse in our own space
- Full lobby area that accommodate large crowds during the “waiting time” before shows
- Lobby area is also much better for character meet and greet after the show
- Backstage area for cast members including a kitchen/food area
- No poles in the middle of the room that inhibit the ability to see well
- Riser seating for parents and older kids
- Flooring that is easy to mop in case of accidents (illness or spills)
- Quick accessibly to costume shop should we need a fast repair
- Large dressing rooms able to accommodate large casts
- Separate dressing areas for adults and minors
- Support from the SAPAC front of house staff
- A ‘real’ theatre experience for children
- Brings more people to SAPAC who may not have attended before which brings awareness to the space and arts in general
SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES: There are many ways to help make this outreach event possible. If you are internested in sponsorships, please email email@example.com. Sponsors get perks such as logo recognition and a preview party with the cast for our final dress rehearsal.
ARE THERE BE THEATRE MEMBER BENEFITS?
If you are a current member of Be Theatre, we will be opening our final dress rehearsal for no charge. You must be a current member of our theatre to attend. Members are welcome to bring up to 2 guests per membership. More information will go out to specific members when we get closer to the production.